Hello folks. We’re officially over a week into our tour with Jack’s Mannequin and let me just tell you, this has been one crazy ass trip so far. While we’ve been very fortunate with amazing tours in the past, I think this is starting to creep its way to being our favorite. I’ve compiled a list of top ten memories of the tour so far that stand out… for better or worse.
1. Food – Surprisingly, our diet intake for this trip has not been limited to golden arches, red clown boxes, and underground transportation. Every once in a while, we’ll get to sample the local eats. Check out my awesome burger from Ft. Collins, CO. Key Ingredients: egg, sauerkraut, pineapple and teriyaki sauce.
2. CouchSurfing – Instead of staying at hotels, we elect to stay with random strangers who offer their homes free of cost. It’s really a beautiful thing. These people are altruistic, respectful and most of all, awesome. We stumble in late having never met our host(s) only to find little notes with instructions of where everything is. Such a beautiful thing. Such a beautiful memory of tour that will continue I’m sure. Below is Matt enjoying the hospitality of our hosts in Nebraska 🙂
3. Garden of the Gods – Touring doesn’t always lend itself to being site-seeing friendly. You’d be surprised how hard we have to try to actually enjoy the sights and sounds of the country. Well, this time we tried hard enough. Behold, the Garden of the Gods in Ft. Collins, CO… err, I mean Colorado Springs. My bad.
4. Rafting – All I have to say about this is that we went under a bridge whose purpose of letting rafts go underneath it during a high river season remains questionable. The river wasn’t exactly friendly that day either (our guide fell in)… but we made it thanks to our rowing prowess and the bravado of our guides.
5. Bug bites – Not a fan. But they remain tenaciously memorable.
6. Jack’s Mannequin – Passionate performer. Loyal to fans. Good friend. Andrew and the rest of the crew from Jack’s has been the most amazing, supportive and good-spirited group of people any opening band can hope for. I’m thrilled to know that after this tour, I’ll be able to call them my good good friends.
7. Steel Train – Talk about a fun and amazingly talented group of guys. All the more to be excited about after hearing our shared love for basketball. Do I hear an LD vs. ST challenge? Check out this amazing band here.
8. Weather – After having our first delay due to a tornado, I must say that weather will go down as one of the most memorable moments thus far. There’s nothing like being shuttled down into the basement with hundreds of fans and then being told by the security guard, “We can get you your own green room down here so you don’t have to be with the regular folks.” No thanks, sir, but I’ll die with everyone else, thanks 🙂
9. Goofing around
10. Fans – And perhaps the best memories so far is still getting to meet new fans in all the cities we go to. No matter what, it always comes down to the fans. And our reception in each city has been so heartfelt and warm that we can’t help but feel grateful for getting to do what we do for the people we love. So thank you to all of our new fans that we are meeting and to our old fans/friends who have and continue to support us today. We love you.