back in the day… before bit-torrent downloads and even before kazaa, when CDs were something people held onto rather than just importing before tossing in the trash, when MTV played music instead of just reality TV…. it was a different time. a simpler time.
one of my favorite things to do back then was to make mixtapes for my friends. i would spend a few hours putting together a good, thoughtful playlist, custom built for a friend who would appreciate the new music, and then i would hand-deliver the mixtape (more aptly named: mixCD) to my friend as a nice thoughtful surprise. and every once in a while, my friend would create a masterful mixtape, and hand deliver it to me… and so the cycle continues.
but i havent made or received a mixtape in years. not because it wouldnt still be thoughtful nowadays, but because it wouldnt be the most efficient way to share music nowadays. i suppose in my growing up with new technology i’ve come to value efficiency over thoughtfulness
either way, i’ve decided to start it up again. here’s my newest mixtape (sorry, the nature of this electronic post makes it hard to hand deliver hard copies). this one is about me feeling like summer goes by too fast.
Feel free to share you mixtape songs or playlists as a comment below, with or without a story.
MG’s I’m Not Ready for Summer to End Mixtape 8/26/2010
1. The Love Language – “Heart to Tell”
2. Two Door Cinema Club – “What You Know”
3. The Temper Trap – “Down River”
4. Beach House – “Zebra”
5. Lykke Li – “I’m Good, I’m Gone”
6. Little Joy – “Brand New Start”
7. Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros – “40 Day Dream”
8. Rouge Wave – “Lake Michigan”
9. Marina & the Diamonds – “I Am Not A Robot”
10. The Morning Benders – “Waiting For A War”
11. Grizzly Bear – “While You Wait for the Others”
12. Noisettes – “Never Forget You”
13. Coconut Records – “West Coast”
14. Dr. Dog – “Army of Ancients”
15. RJD2 – “Ghostwriter”